Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Selfie vs. Self Portrait

     For my Selfie vs. Self Portrait project I choose to take two pictures of my phone showing two completely different activities. In the photographs themselves I chose to use front light to illuminate my hand coupled with the glowing light from my phone. The lamp which I used as front light emphasized the phone and my hand. The photo is shot with a shallow depth of field for a close up on the phone. Additionally the pictures are high key, meaning their are a lot of light tones.
   
     But there is a significant difference between a selfie and a self portrait. A selfie depicts what you want people to think of you. A self portrait depicts what you think about yourself. For my self portrait I choose to do a picture of me playing Pokemon Go. Although I don't see myself as only someone who plays Pokemon Go but I think it represents my love for doing fun things that might be goofy or childish. My selfie depicted me reading the New York Times. Although its not always true people think I'm very intelligent, especially during the school year. It's not that I'm a teachers pet or I'm a genius, I just seem to do well at times when people are watching so they don't see me when I struggle. Even though these pictures aren't amazingly artistic I think they in some way really represent my life and my interests.

1 comment:

  1. Great reflection Connor! Your description of the technical aspects was very thorough. I also liked your rationale about the subject matter in your photos. This was a unique approach to use objects to represent you.

    ReplyDelete